Among the large number of questions the clerk receives, there are a few that are asked more than most. Here you will find many of these "Frequently Asked Questions" and their answers.

If your particular question is not here, or you need elaboration on an answer given here, feel free to contact the Clerk by phone below or by email.


  • How does the direct deposit of my child support and/or alimony payments help me?
  • Your payments are not subject to postal service delays.

    There are no lost or stolen checks.

    You will not have to go to the bank to deposit your payments.

    You will receive the deposits whether you are ill or on vacation.

    Funds may be available sooner than mailed payments.
  • What do I do to sign up for direct deposit?
  • Complete the authorization form located here. Click here for additional information.


  • Child Support Collection and Disbursement
  • In 1999, federal law required the State of Florida to collect child support through a state disbursement unit (SDU). Most child support payments now are processed by this SDU. Because this change affected so many people, a customer service system was implemented in the Tallahassee SDU.

    The Voice Response Unit provides information about your account automatically; it can tell you when your last support check was issued. However, you will need your social security number and case number to get this information. If you don't have your case number, you can get it from the Clerk in the county in which your support was ordered. The Voice Response Unit number is 1-877-769-0251; for Tallahassee, the number is 850-201-0140. If you have general questions about child support, please call your local Clerk of Courts' office. In Tallahassee, the number for the Family Law Division of the Clerk's Office is 850-577-4150.
  • Child Support Enforcement
  • The State of Florida has designated the Florida Department of Revenue (DOR) as the primary public agency to provide public child support enforcement activities. Below are links to the DOR child support enforcement section and a brief explanation of each.
    Other alternatives include hiring your own attorney or self-representation. If you wish to represent yourself, visit our website at, and select Forms under Courts to view the various self-help family law forms. Whether you choose enforcement through DOR, represent yourself, or hire an attorney, Clerks' Offices remain available to send out notices of delinquency and notices of intent to suspend drivers' licenses upon request.


  • What is the Child Driver License Suspension?
  • Pursuant to FS 61.13016, when a payer is 15 daysí delinquent in making a payment in support in non-IV-D cases, and upon the request of the person expecting payment, the Clerk must provide notice to the payer of the delinquency and the intent to suspend by regular United States mail that is posted to the payerís last address of record with the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
  • What are the qualifications for the Program?
  • You must have a Leon County order for child support.

    You must not currently be under contract with the Florida Department of Revenue Child Support Enforcement Program.

    Your child support payments must be paid through the State Disbursement Unit.

    If your child support payments are made monthly, semi-monthly, or biweekly, payment must be 30 daysí delinquent. If your payments are made weekly, payment must be 15 daysí delinquent.

    The payer must have a Florida driver license.
  • What information will I need to provide to the Family Law Division?
  • Case Number

    Payer's date of birth

    Payer's social security number

    Payer's last known address
  • How does the Program work?
  • Upon a delinquency of child support payments, a Notice of Intent to Suspend Driver License is mailed to the payer. Upon receiving the Notice, the payer has three options to avoid driver license suspension:

    Pay the delinquency.

    Enter into a written agreement for repayment of the delinquency with the payee.

    File a Notice to Contest Driver License Suspension if there is a disagreement regarding the amount or if there is a claim of mistaken identity.

    If the payer fails to select one of these options within 20 days from the date of the Notice, the Family Law Division will mail a request to suspend to the Florida Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles. Once suspended, the s license cannot be reinstated until either the delinquency is paid in full or until the payer and payee enter into a written agreement for repayment of the delinquency.
  • How do I sign up?
  • You may fill out a request form in the Family Law Division of the Clerk's Office, located in Suite 100 of the Leon County Courthouse, 301 South Monroe Street, Tallahassee, FL 32301, or you may send a letter requesting to participate in the program. Please include your case number.


  • What is an injunction?
  • An injunction is a court order, also referred to as a restraining order, that directs a person not to have any contact with you.
  • What is the process for getting an injunction?
  • These statewide brochures discuss the process for obtaining an injunction. These statutes provide the requirements for each type of injunction. And these videos explain the process in detail.
  • Where can I obtain an injunction?
  • The Refuge House has a volunteer office in the Leon County Courthouse and can be reached at 577-4480. Volunteers with this organization will provide counseling, and will assist in completing injunction forms and obtaining emergency shelter at the Refuge House.

    Once the forms are completed, the Petition for Injunction should be filed with the Family Law Division of the Clerk's Office, Suite 100, Leon County Courthouse, during normal business hours. The Family Law Division will file the petition, create the case, and take the file to the judge for review. If the judge finds merit to the petition, a Temporary Injunction and Notice of Hearing will be entered.

    During weekends and holidays, assistance may be sought at the Leon County Jail, located on Appleyard Drive, at 8:00 a.m., where a deputy clerk will be present and judge will be present.

    There are currently no costs associated with injunctions.
  • What happens after the judge grants the injunction?
  • A hearing must be scheduled and the respondent must be personally served with a copy of the Petition, Notice of Hearing, and the Temporary Injunction. The hearing will be scheduled for the next available court session. You will be provided with copies of these documents; you must attend the hearing or the injunction will be dismissed.

    Any injunction granted by the Court will remain in effect until modified or dissolved by the judge. Copies of all injunctions are placed on file with local law enforcement agencies.
  • What community resources are available?
  • Florida Coalition Against Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-500-1119 or TDD (800) 621-4202.

    Refuge House - provides services to victims of domestic violence and sexual assault
    • 24 hour hotline 681-2111
    • Safe shelter
    • Individual counseling
    • Group counseling
    • Injunction assistance
    Local Shelters
    Food and Clothes
    • ECHO (Emergency Care & Help Organization) 224-3246
    • Salvation Army 222-0304
    • Department of Children and Family Services - Food Stamps 487-2826
    Rent & Utility AssistanceVictim Services